[Corpora-List] Off-the-shelf coreference packages

Adam Funk a.funk at dcs.shef.ac.uk
Tue Jul 19 13:15:26 UTC 2011

[18/07/11 18:24] Leon Derczynski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What off-the-shelf coreference resolution packages would you recommend?
> So far I have Arkref, Stanford coref and BART working, and all seem to
> produce unsatisfactory results too often to be useful in practice. Is
> this characteristic of the state of the art?
>
> The text that I am trying to process is plaintext English newswire, and
> the entity types that I am most interested in resolving correctly are
> people and organisations. However currently at least one major actor per
> document appears to be incorrectly conflated with another entity; the
> president of the USA with an aircraft carrier, or "sanctions" with a
> country. Any tips or links to downlaodable systems would be greatly
> appreciated.

GATE has an orthographic coreferencer included in ANNIE (for matching
"John Smith" with "Mr Smith", for example), and an additional pronominal
coreferencer.

GATE is also a generally wonderful set of open-source software.
:-)

http://gate.ac.uk/sale/tao/splitch6.html#sec:annie:orthomatcher

http://gate.ac.uk/sale/tao/splitch6.html#sec:annie:pronom-coref