[Corpora-List] Something to think about: metadata in Google Books

Angus B. Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Mon Mar 21 12:59:30 UTC 2011

On 3/21/2011 5:40 AM, chris brew wrote:
> Google is a company. How much will providing a service for scholars
> increase value for
> Google's shareholders?

     Yes.  As Andrew Lewis said, "If you are not paying for it, you're
not the customer; you're the product being sold."  Google is not the
government, and it does not have a responsibility to provide academics
with anything beyond what was in its agreements with the donor
libraries.  Google Books is a huge step forward, not a step back.

      Incidentally, the two biggest sources of data for my negation
study were Google Books and the government-sponsored BNF digital
library.  I didn't find the metadata on the BNF library to be
particularly useful.  That's why I created my own database linking to
both catalogs, and other texts available online.

     People who don't like Google's metadata can create their own
alternative catalog that links to their scans.  People who don't like
the capitalist business model can get a government to pay for that
alternative catalog.  Nothing in the structure of Google Books precludes
this.

     The main thing I think Nunberg is responding to is not Google Books
itself, but the overreaching claims made for it by Erez Lieberman and
his collaborators.  As I understand it, he's the one who pushed Google
to make their Ngram viewer publicly available and published articles
claiming that it had reliable results.

--
				-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
				Saint John's University