[Corpora-List] Significance test for TTR

Scott Crossley sacrossley at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 14:06:34 UTC 2011

Hi Chris,

LD measures can be quite robust indicators of lexical use in many areas of research. For the State of the Art in LD research read this paper

McCarthy, P.M. & Jarvis, S., (2010). MTLD, vocd-D, and HD-D: A validation study of sophisticated approaches to lexical diversity Assessment". Behavior Research Methods. 42:381-392.

Which can be found here for free

http://www.springerlink.com/content/257587jm46601751/

One LD index used by McCarthy and Jarvis (mtld) appears to not be text length dependent; however, there are a variety of other indices that might suit your needs also (d and m come to mind). Tools to compute these indices automatically are available and free and one of these tools (the Grammulator) will even compute statistical analyses for you (I think).

But do read the paper first ;)

Scott

Scott Crossley, Ph.D.
Department of Applied Linguistics/ESL