[Corpora-List] Man bites dog

John D Burger john at mitre.org
Mon Nov 21 15:46:23 UTC 2011

I'm not completely positive I understand Kay's point, but I gather we are to assume that the language model says that "dog bites man" is more likely than "man bites dog" - arguing about whether this is likely misses the point, I believe.

Even if this is true, LMs are but one source of evidence that SMT systems use.  Moses, for instance, will have specific statistics about how often the phrase to the left of "mord" moves to the right of its translation, and so on for the other words and phrases.  This probably rarely happens, so the system will weigh this against the LM's preference.  This can be modeled more appealingly if Moses is trained with a syntactic model.  In this case, I think the odds would be very low that the "subject" and "object" of "mord" would switch places during translation.

- John Burger
  MITRE