[Corpora-List] Ph.D. position in computational linguistics in Groningen

Gertjan van Noord g.j.m.van.noord at rug.nl
Fri Feb 3 15:13:47 UTC 2012

We are happy to announce a Ph.D. position in computational
linguistics.

All information can be found at
http://www.rug.nl/corporate/vacatures/vacaturesRUG

PhD position Computational Linguistics
Vacancy number 212038
We welcome research project proposals in computational linguistics, in
particular proposals in (1) automated syntactic analysis of Dutch;
and (2) employing large scale automatically parsed corpora of Dutch.
The Alpino parser has been used to analyze very large corpora of
Dutch fully automatically. These corpora have been made available
in the Lassy project. This year, we are particularly interested
in research projects which employ such large parsed corpora to study
linguistic issues, applying and extending methodology from corpus
linguistics. Proposals in this direction may exploit cooperation
with the syntax/semantics research group of the CLCG.

We also welcome research proposals to improve the automated syntactic
analysis of Dutch. In this direction, there are challenges in the
area of parsing transcribed speech, sentence-internal discourse
structure, reported speech, fragmentary input, interjections, etc.
In this area it may be possible to propose an alternative syntactic
model in which a manually developed rule based model for headed
constructions (as provided by theories such as HPSG) is augmented
with grammatical rules of a simpler kind which are learnt by means of
data-driven techniques. Proposals in this direction may exploit
cooperation with the discourse/communication research group of
the CLCG.

The PhD project will be supervised by Prof. Gertjan van Noord.

Links:
http://www.let.rug.nl/vannoord/alp/Alpino
http://www.let.rug.nl/vannoord/Lassy