[Corpora-List] CfP: Linguistic and Cognitive Approaches To Dialog Agents (LaCATODA 2012)

Michal Ptaszynski ptaszynski at media.eng.hokudai.ac.jp
Mon Feb 6 17:02:45 UTC 2012

Apologies for cross-postings.

                           CALL FOR PAPERS
Linguistic and Cognitive Approaches To Dialog Agents (LaCATODA 2012)
http://arakilab.media.eng.hokudai.ac.jp/Turing/
Symposium at the AISB/IACAP World Congress 2012 in honour of Alan Turing*
University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
July 2nd to 6th, 2012
IMPORTANT DATES:
Paper Submission: 2 March 2012
Acceptance/Rejection Decision: 2 April 2012
Camera-Ready Submission: 4 May 2012
Session dates: First two days of the Congress (2-3 July 2012)
SUBMISSION:
https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=lacatoda2012
Five decades of failure to pass the Turing test by computers leads us to
rethink previous approaches, lean towards new technologies and knowledge
sources, and combine them with advances in philosophy, linguistics and
cognitive science. We stress the fact that the age of information
explosion gives us a whole new spectrum of possibilities for creating an
intelligent machine. Many marvelous ideas of the dawn of Artificial
Intelligence research faced problems of exceptions and the impossibility
of manual input of all needed knowledge, but today we have vast amounts of
data from sensors and text so that we can rethink classical AI methods and
approaches. The increased use of WWW, RFID, Bluetooth, etc. could allow us
to determine standard human behaviors, emotions or even moral reasoning
according to the Wisdom of Crowds hypothesis. Collective input data could
also help to retrieve knowledge about the physical world we live in.
By combining Natural Language Processing methods with cognitive approaches
and philosophy of mind, we can discover a new range of intelligent systems
that understand us, our environment and our feelings. In this context, we
see a role for NLP and cognitive approaches to play in developing a new
generation of user-friendly, (also ethically) safe systems that, through
interaction with the user and the world, can learn how to reason, behave
or speak naturally. We are interested in original papers on systems and
ideas for systems that use common sense knowledge and reasoning, affective
computing, cognitive methods, learning from broad sets of data and
acquiring knowledge, or language and user preferences.
The symposium intends to spark an interdisciplinary discussion on joining
forces to return AI to its original, broader and deeper goals which are
currently represented by AGI – Artificial General Intelligence.
--------------------------------------
TOPICS OF INTEREST:
Affective computing
Agent-based information retrieval
Artificial humor
Common sense knowledge and reasoning
Computational cognition
Daily life dialog systems
Emotional intelligence simulations
Ethical reasoning
Language acquisition
NLP text mining techniques
Preference models
Unlimited question answering
User modeling
Wisdom of Crowds approaches
World knowledge acquisition
Systems and approaches combining above topics
Any new approach or method which enables the creation of a Turing
test-passing program is welcomed. Apart from scientific papers, we will
encourage all submitters to show demonstrations of their ideas. If there
are a large number of “work in progress” submissions, we will consider
allowing poster presentations too.
--------------------------------------
PROGRAM COMMITTEE:
Aladdin Ayesh, De Montfort University, UK
Kenji Araki, Hokkaido University, Japan
Eleanor Clark, Hokkaido University
Haris Dindo, University of Palermo, Italy
Pawel Dybala, Kotoken, Poland
Ben Groetzel, Novamente, USA
Yasutomo Kimura, Otaru University of Commerce, Japan
Fumito Masui, Kitami Institute fo Technology, Japan
Koji Murakami, Rakuten, USA
Michal Ptaszynski, Hokkai-Gakuen University, Japan
Tyson Roberts, Google, Japan
Marcin Skowron, Austrian Research Institute of Artificial Intelligence,
Austria
Masato Tokuhisa, Tottori University, Japan
Zygmunt Vetulani, Adam Mickiewicz University, Poland
--------------------------------------
ORGANIZER: Rafal Rzepka
Language Media Laboratory
Graduate School of Information Science and Technology
Hokkaido University
Kita-ku, Kita 14, Nishi 9, 060-0814 Sapporo, Japan
office TEL: (+81)(11)706-6535
FAX: (+81)(11)709-6277
kabura at media.eng.hokudai.ac.jp
--------------------------------------
CONGRESS INFO
AISB/IACAP World Congress 2012 in honour of Alan Turing is organized by
Society for the Study of Artificial Intelligence and Simulation of
Behaviour (AISB) http://www.aisb.org.uk/
and
International Association for Computing and Philosophy (IACAP)
http://www.ia-cap.org/
The Congress serves both as the year’s AISB Convention and the year’s
IACAP conference. The Congress has been inspired by a desire to honour
Alan Turing, and by the broad and deep significance of Turing’s work to
AI, to the philosophical ramifications of computing, and to philosophy and
computing more generally. The Congress is one of the events forming the
Alan Turing Year (http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/turing2012/).
The intent of the Congress is to stimulate a particularly rich interchange
between AI and Philosophy on any areas of mutual interest, whether
directly addressing Turing’s own research output or not.
The Congress will consist mainly of a number of collocated Symposia on
specific research areas, interspersed with Congress-wide refreshment
breaks, social events and invited Plenary Talks. All papers other than the
invited Plenaries will be given within Symposia.
More details here:
http://events.cs.bham.ac.uk/turing12/
  or via
http://www.aisb.org.uk/convention/aisb12/
--------------------------------------
COMPANION EVENTS:
"Revisiting Turing and his Test: Comprehensiveness, Qualia, and the Real
World" Symposium
http://www.pt-ai.org/turing-test/
--------------------------------------
PROCEEDINGS:
There will be a separate proceedings for each symposium, produced before
the Congress. Each delegate at the Congress will receive, on arrival, a
memory stick containing the proceedings of all symposia.
--------------------------------------
PLENARY SPEAKERS:
The organizers of "AISB/IACAP World Congress 2012 - Alan Turing 2012"
secured five invited plenary speakers so far, namely:
COLIN ALLEN
Provost Professor of Cognitive Science and of History & Philosophy of
Science
Department of Philosophy and Philosophy of Science, Indiana University,
Bloomington, IN, USA
LUCIANO FLORIDI
Research Chair in Philosophy of Information and UNESCO Chair of
Information and Computer Ethics
University of Hertfordshire, UK
Director, Information Ethics Research Group and Fellow of St Cross College
University of Oxford, UK
AARON SLOMAN
Honorary Professor, School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham,
UK
SIR JOHN DERMOT TURING
Honorary President of the Turing Centenary Advisory Committee, 12th
Baronet of Foveran; Partner, Clifford Chance, London; son of Sir John
Turing, and nephew of Alan Turing
STEPHEN WOLFRAM
Founder and CEO, Wolfram Research, Inc. Champaign, IL, USA