[Corpora-List] Studentship: Corpus of Early Business Correspondence

Emma Moreton ELM673 at bham.ac.uk
Mon Feb 6 20:01:49 UTC 2012

Dear Colleagues,
Please find attached information regarding a studentship at Coventry University. We’d be grateful if you could forward this to anyone you think might be interested.
Thank you!

PhD Studentship: Corpus of Early Business Correspondence<http://wwwm.coventry.ac.uk/researchnet/ResearchStudents/ResearchStudentships/Pages/StudentshipDetail.aspx?stuID=86>

As part of the JISC-funded ‘New Connections: BT e-Archive’ project, we are able to offer a fully funded full-time PhD Studentship, starting in April 2012, in the Department of English and Languages at Coventry University.  The package provides a £13,260  bursary + Home/EU fees for three years. The student will be required to work part-time as a research assistant on the BT e-Archive project, and we anticipate that work carried out for the project will inform the applicant’s own research methodology.
Closing Date for applications is:  24/02/2012
The successful applicant will be working with a corpus of 19th and early 20th century business correspondence. We are looking for someone with a postgraduate qualification in corpus linguistics or a related field, and an interest in exploring annotation as a means of representing historical documents. The applicant will have the opportunity to use data from the project in their PhD thesis, but could alternatively pursue another topic which requires thorough exploration of the potential of TEI markup.
Applicants must complete the standard University Application Form – see  http://www.coventry.ac.uk/researchnet/studentships/a/5763.  They must also include either a research proposal or an account of their research background and interests.
For further information about the project seehttp://www.jisc.ac.uk/whatwedo/programmes/digitisation/content2011_2013/newconnections.aspx  and http://wwwm.coventry.ac.uk/researchnet/grandchallenges/digitalmedia/Pages/BTe-Archive.aspx
For further information and to discuss the studentship please contact Hilary Nesi h.nesi at coventry.ac.uk<mailto:h.nesi at coventry.ac.uk> or Emma Moreton emma.moreton at coventry.ac.uk<mailto:emma.moreton at coventry.ac.uk>.