[Corpora-List] Program posted for the spring Sentiment Analysis Symposium

Seth Grimes grimes at altaplana.com
Mon Feb 13 12:57:51 UTC 2012

The speaker line-up next Sentiment Analysis Symposium is out, at
http://sentimentsymposium.com/agenda.html . This symposium, the fourth, is
slated for May 8, 2012 in New York. Speakers and panelists include
academics (Jan Wiebe, Bing Liu, Ronen Feldman) and representatives of
firms including American Express, Fidelity Investments, Kraft Foods, the
Red Cross, Thomson Reuters, and Yahoo as well as a variety of start-ups.

Our tag line is:

     The Sentiment Analysis Symposium bridges technology and business in
one of the most exciting applications to emerge in recent years: software
that discovers business value in opinions and attitudes in social media,
news, and enterprise feedback.

Keynotes kick off the morning sessions:

- Prof. Jan Wiebe of the Univ of Pittsburgh will speak on Sentiment,
Subjectivity, and Sense, providing a leading researcher's view of the
state of sentiment and where we're heading.

- Drinking from the Fire Hose authors Chris Frank (American Express) and
Paul Magnone (Openet Telecom) are slated to tackle (working title)
Emotional Versus Rational in Customer Decision Making.

The symposium showcases sentiment-analysis applications and provides
unique learning opportunities.  Other speakers include --

- Rich Brown from Thomson Reuters, title Forecasting Financial Market
Response from News and Social Media Sentiment.
- Banafsheh Ghassemi of the American Red Cross, on multi-channel customer
sentiment.
- Carol Haney, Toluna, on Combining Survey Research & Social Monitoring.
- Andera Gadeib, CEO of German-based Dialego AG, on Market Research Beyond
Sentiment.
- Prof. Ronen Feldman of Hebrew University and Digital Trowel, on Insight in
Business News, Medical Forums, and Public Filings.

Talks tell you how to use sentiment analysis and how to combine it with
data from diverse online and enterprise sources, to help you understand
and exploit emotion, mood, and opinion in the spectrum of sources. We
focus on User Perspectives in a series of three shorter presentations
followed by a panel discussion:

- Can automated sentiment analysis be less accurate than flipping a coin? - Dana Jacob, Yahoo
- Who are the most loyal customers? - Sobhan Hota, Fidelity Investments
- The Power Of Social Media Listening - Frank Cotignola, Kraft Foods

The May 8 program closes with a new Innovators & Innovation panel with
Leslie Barrett (The Ladders), Prof. Bing Liu (University of Illinois at
Chicago), and Romi Mahajan (Metavana).

And we'll once again have a half-day, day-before Practical Sentiment
Analysis tutorial, on May 7, this year taught by Bing Liu, who was
featured in a recent New York Times article
(http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/27/technology/for-2-a-star-a-retailer-gets-5-star-reviews.html).

Lastly, we're once again planning evening-before and post-symposium
receptions.

I'm really looking forward to the May 8 symposium. I hope you'll consider
joining us. If you have questions do get in touch, and I hope to see you
there.  Register online at http://sentimentsymposium.com/registration.html
.  Early-bird rates run through March 9, and full-time academics and
government employees are eligible for a 50% discount.  We also have
special low rates for full-time students.

 				Seth Grimes, symposium chair

P.S. Thank you to sponsors Attensity, Lexalytics, and NetBase (there are
others pending), whose support makes the symposium possible.

P.P.S. To keep up with announcements, please follow
http://twitter.com/SentimentSymp on Twitter.