[Corpora-List] a worldwide word association test

Himanshu Sharma himanshu.sharma.rocky at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 13:04:04 UTC 2012

I also thought of the same thing while responding in the experiment.
Since the experiment is not a psychological one (I hope it's not),
thus the effect that Mr.Washtell talks about is somewhat deteriorating
the quality the word association data collected.

But asking for a single response may limit the number of association
that a word gets to the set of most common ones. For Ex. "Shirt" would
probably be associated with "Buttons" , "collars" , "clothes" etc. and
not with something unusual like "Washing Powder". I don't know if
study, but surely one can establish relations between any two words
via long routes. Thus even after taking selection bias of 1st and 2nd
response on the 3rd response into account, the responses do establish
an association (may be a somewhat far fetched one).
May be a weighted association and providing a sequence of response
filling (1st field -> 2nd field -> 3rd field) (that Mr.Washtell talked
about) would be a better approach .

Regards ,
Himanshu Sharma

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Justin Washtell <lec3jrw at leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found this incarnation of the word association experiment a little unnatural. **Perhaps it is best not to read on at this stage if you're planning on having a go at it, just in case I influence you!!**
>
> For each word the user is asked to provide three responses, one below the last, which arise "spontaneously" from the cue word. I think its fair to say that personally I never had three responses all come to mind simultaneously, such that I could hold them in my mind and then fill out the boxes. Rather, I'd have one arrive (which I might then fill in) and then I'd have to "allow" my mind to come up with another and so on.
>
> What I found however was that my latter responses tended to be influenced by my previous responses, and in some cases were only very tenuously associated with the original cue word, or not at all (e.g. awake -> alive -> kicking; idea -> thought -> provoke). I then found myself in the peculiar situation of consciously fighting this urge... and also of course wondering whether perhaps I shouldn't do such a thing. To be fair, the experimenters do provide the option of writing "no response", and I did this a few times when I was in doubt.
>
> I wonder then if the experimenters are accounting for this effect (I hope it is not just me!) Presumably the box to which a response belongs is being recorded, so if the second and third responses are indeed coloured by this sort of effect then it can be observed, and perhaps even factored out if it is not in keeping with the aims of the study. But what if users fill the boxes in some other arbitrary or even random order, as opposed to top-to-bottom like I did? More generally, I wonder whether the task of trying to be alert for three simultaneous responses may make this a more of a conscious task and colour the types of responses garnered.
>
> I'd be interested to hear others thoughts having attempted the task.
>
> On a related note, there is a similar experiment which has been running for some years now at www.wordassociation.org<http://www.wordassociation.org>. I did make a few attempts to tried to contact the creator, to try and obtain the (substantial) data for my PhD thesis, but had no luck. Does anybody know anything about this?
>
> Justin Washtell
> University of Leeds

Christopher Morley - "There is only one success - to be able to spend
your life in your own way."