[Corpora-List] Research Internship at Crimson Hexagon (Boston)

Amac Herdagdelen amac at herdagdelen.com
Thu Feb 16 16:49:24 UTC 2012

Dear All,

Crimson Hexagon, a Boston-based social-media analytics software
company, is looking for a research intern who will work on social data
analysis and text mining. The details of the open position are given
below.

Regards,

Amaç Herdağdelen

Company Background

Crimson Hexagon is a Boston-based social-media analytics software
company. It provides an industry-leading social media monitoring and
analysis platform and services to global brands, agencies, media firms
and their partners.

Named by Fast Company as one of 2011's Top 10 Most Innovative
Companies on the Web, Crimson Hexagon works with many of the world's
largest and most respected companies. Powered by patent-pending
technology originally developed at Harvard University's Institute for
Quantitative Social Science, the Crimson Hexagon ForSight™ platform
surpasses the capabilities of traditional social media monitoring and
expands the capacity of market research.

Job Description

The internship will last 10 to 12 weeks during the summer of 2012,
exact dates can be set mutually. With a fixed end date set in advance,
you will be responsible for formulating a research problem and a
research agenda which are relevant to our activities and bring the
project to completion. You will be responsible for devising,
implementing, and evaluating algorithms and techniques for problems
that we face in social media analysis.

Who are we looking for?

Technical skills such as competence in more than one programming
language (e.g., Python, Java, C/C++, R, Ruby) and familiarity with the
tools to work with large datasets (e.g., Unix command line tools,
Hadoop) are a must, but that is not all we are looking for. You are
also expected to have a good understanding of statistical methods and
practical experience in text processing and machine learning, but
that's not what we are looking for, either.

We seek an intern with a strong passion for working with large social
datasets, who is creative enough to identify new problems and
questions that we haven't thought of, and who is determined to answer
these questions with scientific rigour. This will be a spirited,
supportive and creative environment where we can learn from each
other.

If you have experience in social network analysis, computational
social science, digital anthropology, or computational linguistics
that's a plus too.

As an intern, you will work with our resident research scientists who
are experts in text mining and machine learning. You will be given
access to many different sources of social media content, including
the Twitter Firehose; we expect you to be enthusiastic about the
possibilities and cool stuff you can do with them.

Applicants should be pursuing an advanced degree in text-processing,
NLP, computational linguistics, computational social sciences, machine
learning, social network analysis, or a related area.

Next Step

If you like how this sounds, send us your resume and cover letter
telling us why you would like to spend your summer with us. We look
forward to seeing if you have what it takes to achieve something
extraordinary with Crimson Hexagon. Send materials to
research at crimsonhexagon.com.

Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes.
Crimson Hexagon is not responsible for any fees related to resumes
that are unsolicited.
Crimson Hexagon will only accept job applications from candidates who
are properly documented with authorization to work in the United
States.