[Corpora-List] Looking for interpersonal communication corpora

Rich Cooper rich at englishlogickernel.com
Tue Jan 10 18:08:22 UTC 2012

Dear Frederik,

There is a TV show about a shrink and his patients
which also has subtitle files for each episode.
It is scripted (since it's a show) rather than
unplanned, but the conversational material is
excellent for establishing emotional driving
forces, individual histories, and the reactions of
each person are followed.  The shrink even has
problems with his wife and kids, and he discusses
them in conversation with his own shrink, who was
his supervisor in shrink college.  The series is
called "In Treatment", and it is a fascinating
watch.

You can notice the Jungian typologies in the
character of the individuals.  Each episode is
about thirty minutes with video, so you can
further annotate the displayed emotions of each
character in addition to the dialog itself.  Using
the transcribed text of the language, and the
instantaneous emotionally honest responses of the
speakers, lets you correlate all kinds of
interesting factors that come out in analysis of
each character's internal psychological
structures.

Season 1 (of three seasons total) has about 43
episodes, so video, subtitles and all take up a
23GB file for downloading via torrents:

http://dl.btjunkie.org/torrent/In-Treatment-Season
-1-720p-Complete/4239f2458f962306af1b96ee3f8e26a05
d667d3f3b2f/download.torrent

There are two other seasons so far, but depending
on how you use the material, it may (or may not)
be considered under the "fair use" doctrine that
evolved from the days of copiers being used in
small volume to support other work.  You may have
to seek legal advice (IANAL) if you have fancy
ideas of how to use it, but I would think (again,
IANAL) that you could get a lot of research and
insight from analyzing the language and
correlating observed emotions with the sequence of
statements.

JMHO,
-RIch

Sincerely,