[Corpora-List] Ambiguous words in English and their frequency

Linda Bawcom linda.bawcom at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 26 04:06:44 UTC 2012

Subject: Re: [Corpora-List] Ambiguous words in English and their frequency

Dear Karen,

(I had to send this to the corpora list because I get bounced mail for you).

I would like to help but am unsure what you mean by an ambiguous word.  I can
understand that a particular word in a sentence might be ambiguous. For
example,  "Mary's a funny person" could mean that she is comical or that she is
strange. However, words are used in some kind of context. Therefore, in the
example, 'funny' is only ambiguous if I have insufficient context to help me
decide the particular use of that polysemous word. In short, I believe we do not
think of words themselves as being ambiguous. What may be ambiguous (e.g. in
need of clarification) is the way a word/phrase is used in a particular context
or context of situation.   Perhaps you can offer a few examples. Apart from
that, I can only offer the following  from my small data base where ambiguity is
discussed:

Aspects of English (2nd) 202,205,262,264,270 etc. Bolinger,D. Harcourt 1975
Discourse Structure &Anaphora 3,48,50-4,56-7,60,108,123,128,131 Fox, Barbara A.
CUP 1987

Computational Analysis of English 21,26,27,39,43,51, etc.
Garside,R.Leech.G.Sampson, G.. Longman 1987

Corpora in Applied Ling. 44-5,145,149 Hunston, Susan CUP 2002
Semantics (2nd edition) 31,38,42-3,48-50,86,105-8etc Palmer, F.R. CUP 1981
Corpus, Concordance,Col 104-05 Sinclair, John OUP 1991
Relational Models of the Lexicon 114,117,227 Walton Evens, M. (ed) CUP 1988
Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity 84 Hirst,Graeme CUP 1987

Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity 7-Sep Hirst,Graeme CUP
1987

Text and Corpus Analysis 188-9 Stubbs, Michael Blackwell 1996
Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity 139.141 Hirst,Graeme CUP
1987

Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity 145 Hirst,Graeme CUP
1987

Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity 5-6,86,92-4,143,149,157
Hirst,Graeme CUP 1987

Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity 4-6,69,112,157,212-13
Hirst,Graeme CUP 1987

Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity 11 Hirst,Graeme CUP 1987

Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity 212 Hirst,Graeme CUP
1987

Relational Models of the Lexicon 291-92,316,319,33,328-29 Walton Evens, M. (ed)
CUP 1988

Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity  Hirst,Graeme CUP 1987
Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity 9-12,38,131-152,215
Hirst,Graeme CUP 1987

Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity 131-36 Hirst,Graeme CUP
1987

Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity 150-52 Hirst,Graeme CUP
1987

Semantic Interpretation and the Resolution of Ambiguity 134-36 Hirst,Graeme CUP
1987

Kindest regards,
Linda Bawcom

Kindest regards,