[Corpora-List] Ambiguous words in English and their frequency

Geoffrey Williams geoffrey.williams at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jan 26 09:08:34 UTC 2012

I was not going to reply, but I shall.

He: My wife bought this jumper here last week. Now she wants another
just like it."
Salewoman: Yes, sir. What bust?
He: Oh, nothing, she tore it on a nail

Punch 1933

What percentage of words are ambiguous? Shall we say 100%.

Words do not have meanings, meanings have words - Firth

Everything is played out in context, we understand through Grice's
cooperative principle? We can deliberately cause misunderstanding for
jokes, poetry etc. Everyword in the joke has some degree of ambiguity.

Geoffrey