[Corpora-List] Variation of parsing performance with sentence length

Evans, Richard J R.J.Evans at wlv.ac.uk
Fri Jun 1 10:03:43 UTC 2012

Dear subscribers,

Some time ago I sent a request for references that describe the way in which parsing accuracy varies with the length or complexity of input sentences. I summarise responses to this quest below, for those who may be interested.

I am grateful to Marta Recasens for sending me details of the paper: McDonald, Ryan and Joakim Nivre. 2007. Characterizing the Errors of Data-Driven Dependency Parsing Model. Proceedings of EMNLP-CoNLL 2007, pp. 122–131.
http://acl.ldc.upenn.edu/D/D07/D07-1013.pdf

and to Daniel Zamen for highlighting his PhD thesis "Parsing with a Statistical Dependency Model" (p.73) which also contains information relevant to the request. The thesis is available at http://ufal.mff.cuni.cz/~zeman/publikace/disertace/thesis.pdf

Both of these works involve dependency parsing. It would be interesting to find similar studies investigating the accuracy of alternate parsing models, if anyone is aware of such work.

Best regards,

Richard