[Corpora-List] Q: Classification performance across languages and language families

Adam Kilgarriff adam at lexmasterclass.com
Sat Jun 2 12:12:47 UTC 2012

Ralf,

Please excuse scepticism, but what about the simple hypothesis that it all
depends on thesaurus-quality.  My hunch would be that it started from a
Germanic language, hence good performance there, and that Slavic lgs have
been added more recently, so there have been less years for
debugging/improving, and that there was a particularly inspired Hungarian
translator!

Maltese has a special problem - Maltese hasn't ever had a technical
vocabulary so there was nothing the Maltese thesaurus-translators could do
except make things up.

(Of course I'll be happy to have my hypothesis quashed by someone who knows
the history of Eurovoc)

Adam

Adam Kilgarriff <http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk/>
adam at lexmasterclass.com
Director                                    Lexical Computing
Ltd<http://www.sketchengine.co.uk/>

Visiting Research Fellow                 University of
Leeds<http://leeds.ac.uk>

*Corpora for all* with the Sketch Engine <http://www.sketchengine.co.uk>

                        *DANTE: a lexical database for
English<http://www.webdante.com>