[Corpora-List] Junior Research Engineer (Boston)

Amac Herdagdelen amac at herdagdelen.com
Tue Jun 5 20:59:30 UTC 2012

Dear Corpora List Members,

Crimson Hexagon is looking for a Junior Research Engineer to be employed in
Boston. The position is briefly described below, details are on this page:
http://www.crimsonhexagon.com/junior-research-engineer/

You are more than welcome to forward this announcement to interested
candidates.

Thanks,

Amaç Herdağdelen

----

We are looking for an RFC 1983-compliant hacker who will be part of our
research team (in other words, a Jr. Research Engineer). You will be
responsible to research, investigate and test new technologies for big data
storage, processing, and analytics. In particular, you will build scalable
systems that can efficiently process petabytes of data, build and maintain
storage systems that are continuously updated and require holding tens of
billions of records each with millions of fields. You will work closely
with the research scientists in a challenging and nurturing environment.

Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate achievement in some or
all of the above, and you will also be heavily evaluated for your attitude,
approach and other intangibles. With that, more definitive criteria for the
ideal candidate follow:

*Working with large datasets and linguistic corpora

*Unix command line tools

*MapReduce paradigm, Hadoop and HDFS

*HBase, Cassandra, MongoDB or similar key-value storage systems

*Social media, Web application development

Above all, we are looking for an engineer with a strong passion for working
with large social datasets, who is not afraid of getting his/her hands
dirty and who never gets tired of trying and learning new technologies. Our
research team provides a spirited, supportive and creative environment
where we can learn from each other and build the next-generation social
media analytics frameworks.

If we have triggered your interest, send us your resume (
jobs at crimsonhexagon.com) and cover letter telling us why you would like to
be part of our team. Be sure to provide concrete examples of your
programming skills, such as sample codes that solve your favorite toy
problems, demos, web applications you built, public code repositories such
as GitHub where you contribute to open source projects. If such examples
are not available tell us that, and instead provide short descriptions of
previous projects you have been involved in previous jobs or during your
education. This is our Van Halen Brown M&M’s test. Please be sure to
provide this extra information along with your application.