[Corpora-List] [Call for Participation] ACL 2012 3rd Workshop on Computational Approaches to Subjectivity and Sentiment Analysis

Alexandra Balahur Dobrescu alexandra.balahur-dobrescu at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Wed Jun 6 14:34:05 UTC 2012

[Apologies for cross-postings. Please distribute. ]

The workshop program is now available at:
http://gplsi.dlsi.ua.es/congresos/wassa2012/fitxers/WASSA_Program.pdf

> 3rd Workshop on Computational Approaches to Subjectivity and Sentiment
> Analysis (WASSA 2012) - http://gplsi.dlsi.ua.es/congresos/wassa2012/

> -    Satellite workshop to ACL 2012 (Jeju, Korea)
> -    Endorsed by SIGLEX, SIGNLL and SIGSEM
> -    The best papers will be chosen for a Special Issue of the
> Computer Speech and Language Journal (Elsevier).
> -    Subsequent to the WASSA 2012 acceptance notification, we will
> also launch an open call for papers for a Special Issue of the
> Information Sciences Journal (Elsevier).

> AIM OF WORKSHOP
>
> Research in automatic Subjectivity and Sentiment Analysis, as subtasks
> in Affective Computing within Natural Language Processing, has
> flourished in the past years, as the Social Web made it possible for
> people all over the world to express, comment or consult opinions on
> any given topic. The fact that so many people express themselves on
> these topics makes opinions less biased and more credible; their
> subjective nature makes them easily understandable by all people and
> leads to their growing influence on communities worldwide. Due to all
> these reasons, opinions expressed on the Web are more and more
> considered as basis for decision-making processes, for recommendation
> systems, business intelligence processes, image monitoring, and
> marketing or for obtaining unbiased, massive feedback.
> In spite of the growing body of research in the area in the past
> years, dealing with affective phenomena in text has proven to be a
> complex, interdisciplinary problem that remains far from being solved.
> Its challenges include the need to address the issue from different
> perspectives and at different levels, depending on the characteristics
> of the textual genre, the language(s) treated and the final
> application for which the analysis is done.
> Bearing in mind the abovementioned reflections, the aim of the 3rd
> Workshop on Computational Approaches to Subjectivity and Sentiment
> Analysis (WASSA 2012) is to continue the line of the previous two
> editions, bringing together researchers in Computational Linguistics
> working on Subjectivity and Sentiment Analysis and, more generally, on
> affect in text. Moreover, taking into account that affect-related
> phenomena have also been studied by other disciplines, such as
> Psychology, Philosophy or Economics, the purpose of WASSA 2012 is to
> facilitate an interdisciplinary dialogue on the analysis,
> requirements, issues and applications of the study of subjectivity and
> sentiment in the context of traditional and emerging text types. We
> envisage WASSA as a forum to discuss the achievements obtained so far
> and to analyse the different approaches to tackle the difficulties
> researchers are confronted with in this research area.

> TOPICS OF INTEREST
>
> Inspired by the objectives we aimed at in the first two editions  of
> the Workshop on Computational Approaches to Subjectivity Analysis
> [...]

*Alexandra Balahur-Dobrescu, PhD*
Post-doctoral Researcher
European Commission Joint Research Centre
Institute for the Protection and Security of the Citizen
GlobeSec, OPTIMA
Via E. Fermi 2749
T.P. 267
I-21027 Ispra (VA), Italy
Tel: 0039 0332 78 5808

/Disclaimer: "The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may
not in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of
the European Commission."/