[Corpora-List] Question about smoothing of

Yannick Versley yversley at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 11:32:03 UTC 2012

Dear Coen,

The Java-based Kyoto Language Model library
http://www.phontron.com/kylm/
has an implementation of modKN smoothing that should be good enough to
look at (or actually use), and simple enough for ordinary mortals to
understand.
And yes, you do the full backing off thing from a trigram model to a
(modified,
not actual counts!) bigram model to a (modified!) unigram model. At the
unigram
level, you have to use the usual tricks of either using an UNK token for
very rare
words or a character-based model of new words, or ...

Best,
Yannick