[Corpora-List] Workshop in Leeds, 23 July: Corpora in LSP Learning and Teaching

Serge Sharoff s.sharoff at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jun 28 19:52:22 UTC 2012

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: The Role of Corpora in LSP Learning and Teaching
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 20:47:47 +0100
From: James Wilson <J.A.Wilson at leeds.ac.uk>

Dear all,
You are warmly invited to an HEA-sponsored workshop on “The Role of
Corpora in LSP Learning and Teaching” that is taking place at the
University of Leeds on Monday, the 23rd of July, 2012.
Details of the workshop and the workshop programme are given below (the
programme is also attached to this e-mail).
Attendance is free, but for organisational purposes could you please let
me know as soon as possible whether you intend to attend the workshop
and, if so, whether you will be present for lunch?
Best wishes,
James

Workshop description
Language for Specific Purposes (hereafter, LSP) learning and teaching is
a rapidly growing market and an industry-relevant branch of language
pedagogy for which there is a lack of “conventional” printed teaching
materials. Though not yet fully established in the mainstream of
language learning and teaching, especially in Foreign Language Teaching
(FLT), corpora can have a considerable positive impact on LSP learning
and teaching, and corpus-based materials can be produced quickly and
easily for practically any LSP domain. By using corpora alongside
established teaching practices, we can offer tuition for very specific
purposes and tailor modules and/or curricula to individual learners as
well as the needs of industry, and thus we can enhance our students’
language competence and make our graduates more employable.
The theme of the workshop is the application of corpora in various LSP
domains, with a focus on both technological advances in corpus-based
language learning and corpus-based material design. A keynote speech
will address the current state of the art in corpus-based LSP learning
and teaching, and case studies of good practice in the use of corpora
are presented for several languages: Arabic, Chinese, English, German
and Russian. The case studies focus on vocabulary-oriented approaches to
postgraduate language training (Russian for research purposes; German
for chemists), the application of corpora for teaching Chinese, the use
of corpora in designing language learning materials, and corpus
resources for Qur’anic Arabic.
In addition, there will be a practical demonstration of the latest
release of the IntelliText Interface (http://smlc09.leeds.ac.uk/itb) and
its LSP-relevant search functions, which have been implemented on
language projects running at the Centre for Translation Studies (CTS),
University of Leeds.

Programme
(Venue: Parkinson Building B08: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campusmap)
11:00–11:10  Welcome and introduction to the workshop (James Wilson,
University of Leeds)
11:10–12:10  “Corpus use in ESP: linking research and practice” (Alex
Boulton, University of Lorraine)
12:10–12:40  “From corpus to materials creation: the ‘Writing for a
Purpose’ project” (Hilary Nesi, University of Coventry)
12:40–13:40  Lunch
13:40–14:10  “Corpus resources for learning Arabic to understand the
Quran” (Eric Atwell, University of Leeds)
14:10–14:40  “ReadingCorp: a corpus-based approach to teaching Russian
for research” (James Wilson, University of Leeds)
14:40–15:10  “Textual investigation and LSP in the early days of corpus
linguistics: the Nottingham German for Chemists course” (Chris Butler,
University of Leeds)
15:10–15:40  “Corpus-based language education in the Chinese context”
(Richard Xiao, Edge Hill University)
15:40–16:00  Break
16:00–17:00  A demonstration of the Leeds CTS interface: applications
for LSP (Paul Stephenson, Serge Sharoff and James Wilson, University of
Leeds)

Dr James Wilson
Teaching Fellow in Russian
School of Modern Languages and Cultures