[Corpora-List] Research work

DJamé Seddah djame.seddah at free.fr
Fri Mar 2 11:55:30 UTC 2012

Dear Fatima,

If it has already happened, the best way is to contact your institution legal department who will take appropriate action and most certainly will contact the other person institution.
Usually, a paper doesn't  grow on tree waiting to be caught, you must certainly have data, draft papers, emails discussion and so on, proving that you were the original author.

If this is theoretical, why don't upload put your paper to arXiv or any similar website and call that paper "a technical report",  that way your work will be protected.
In the old days, some writers used to send a sealed envelope containing a copy of their manuscript to themselves so that they could claim the manuscript  their own, as proved by the expedition postal date.
Maybe something like this using gmail or something could be doable ? I'd be really curious to learn about the best practice in our field.

Best,
Djamé
ps:  of course, all of this is moot if the person claiming this work is from your institution. Sadly, it will be a word against word debate and your institution will most probably (unless rock solid evidence) act Salomonian and
force you both to share the credit. And if the person has a more powerful position in your institution, forget about it, you'll make too many enemies to justify the hassle.