[Corpora-List] What is corpora and what is not?

Rich Cooper rich at englishlogickernel.com
Wed Oct 3 20:04:07 UTC 2012

The Corpus Iuris Civilis is before my time, but
with the currently available electronics texts in
web pages, wikii, news articles, SMS messages,
emails, databases, and many other sources, the
problem today is to organize a corpus based on the
criteria you want to explore.

So given a buncha texts from these sources, the
issue is more about how to compartmentalize the
samples by whatever criteria you want to study,
partition them into equivalence classes by the
criteria you annotate them to render, and THEN you
have a corpus (or even corpora).  But the
restriction to only linguistics purposes is no
longer representative of usage; there are many,
many criteria you could use.

For example, reputation management is used widely
today by big companies wanting to know what their
community is saying to each other about said big
companies, or by market influences, or patent
texts, or economic metrics, or many other
criteria.

It's gotten a lot less simple than just
linguistics,
-Rich