[Corpora-List] What is corpora and what is not?

Doug Roland droland at buffalo.edu
Mon Oct 8 15:40:47 UTC 2012

It seems to me that the only reason to define what a corpus is is to be able
to exclude something from being a corpus, or to exclude someone's work from
counting as corpus linguistics. Even the abstract question of what a "good"
corpus is seems kind of pointless. It would be much more useful to discuss
whether a corpus is appropriate for a specific purpose, and whether any
specific conclusions that have been drawn about language based on corpus
data are justified by the data on which they are based, and whether any
other set of corpus data might cause one to draw different conclusions about
the nature of language.

> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Patrick Juola <juola at mathcs.duq.edu>
wrote:
>> Actually, that's a pretty good illustration of why definitions are
>> unimportant and why this whole discussion is rather silly.
>
> You say "definitions are unimportant" and this discussion is "silly".
>
> Hmm, many people have contributed. Are we all just being silly?

Yes, bluntly.