[Corpora-List] What is corpora and what is not?

Doug Roland droland at buffalo.edu
Mon Oct 8 17:02:14 UTC 2012

When I read a paper, I'm not worried about what someone means when they say
they used a corpus. I'm worried about what corpus they used, what the
properties of the corpus are, and how the data in that corpus relates to the
claims the author is making, and whether it seems like other possible
corpora would support the same conclusions. If it doesn't seem like all
corpora would support the same conclusions, I then become interested in the
question of why different samples of language differ, and how that affects
the theoretical conclusions being drawn.

-Doug