[Corpora-List] What is corpora and what is not?

Alexander Yeh asy at mitre.org
Tue Oct 9 00:53:18 UTC 2012

Alexander Yeh wrote:
> Laurence Anthony wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, bluntly.
>>
>> OK. Sorry to be silly!

>>> "Life."  (biology)  "Matter." (physics)  "Mind." (psychology)
>>> "Thought." (psychology, again)  "Illness."  (medicine)
>>
>> Really. A very quick review of relevant sites gave me the following.
>> I'm sure I could get more authoritative definitions if I tried:
>>
>> life (biology)
>> http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Life
>
>  From my memory of biology, the definition here:
> "(1) A distinctive characteristic of a living organism from dead
> organism or non-living thing, as specifically distinguished by the
> capacity to grow, metabolize, respond (to stimuli), adapt, and reproduce"
>
> is not totally accepted as it would exclude viruses (which are studied
> in biology):
>
> viruses stay the same size (do not grow and get bigger), do not
> metabolize for energy, etc., and do not reproduce on their own or with
> each other.
> Viruses just take over a cell and commands the cell's "machinery" to
> make copies of the virus.

Better than what my rusty memory remembers on viruses being on the
border between alive and not alive:

http://serc.carleton.edu/microbelife/yellowstone/viruslive.html

Partial quote of a quote: "Viruses straddle the definition of life. They
lie somewhere between supra molecular complexes and very simple
biological entities. Viruses contain some of the structures and exhibit
some of the activities that are common to organic life, but they are
missing many of the others. ..."

"There is no precise definition of what separates the living from the
non-living."

"Although there is no definitive resolution to the question of whether
viruses can be considered living entities, their ability to pass on
genetic information to future generations makes them major players in an
evolutionary sense."