[Corpora-List] Meeting vs Symposium vs Conference

Eric Atwell E.S.Atwell at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Oct 12 10:35:49 UTC 2012

I'm surprised no-one has offered an answer which seems obvious to me:

you should not have to assess the "ranking" of a
conference/journal yourself,  you should
(i) ask your PhD Supervisor - they are paid to advise you, after all!
and (ii) check out some of the journal/conference rankings used by
research ranking exercises such as RAE/REF in UK, eg see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journal_ranking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Excellence_Framework

  ... then start by submitting a paper to a low-ranking publication,
and ramp up to higher-ranking outlets as your PhD proceeds.

I strongly encourage all my PhD supervisees to publish a stream of
papers as material towards the final Thesis.

Eric Atwell, Associate Professor, Language research group,
  I-AIBS Institute for Artificial Intelligence and Biological Systems
  School of Computing, Faculty of Engineering, UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS
  Leeds LS2 9JT, England.        TEL: 0113-3435430  FAX: 0113-3435468
  WWW: http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/eric
       http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/nlp
       http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/arabic