[Corpora-List] Final call: Workshop: Phylometric and phylogenetic approaches in the humanities

Ruprecht von Waldenfels rvwfels at gmx.de
Fri Oct 12 14:22:42 UTC 2012

Workshop: Phylometric and phylogenetic approaches in the humanities
Saturday, Nov. 24th 2012, University of Bern, Switzerland

The use of phylogenetic methods in biology has a long tradition, but has
only recently become more mainstream in humanitarian disciplines. We
invite contributors from all disciplines who have applied phylogenetic
methods to humanistic research problems to present their work in this
workshop. We are especially interested in methodological issues that
have relevance across the disciplines; this may also include case
studies focusing on the applicability of these methods to specific data
types and research questions.

The workshop is preceded by a tutorial focusing on the application of
phylogenetic methods in literary studies and linguistics. We welcome
papers dealing with issues from all humanitarian disciplines, however,
including anthropology, archaeology, art history etc.

Invited speakers:
- Teemu Roos (Computer science / stemmatology, University of Helsinki)
- Michael Cysouw (Linguistic typology / historical linguistics,
Philipps-Universität Marburg)
- Jamie Tehrani (Anthropology, University of Durham)
- Balthasar Bickel (Linguistics, Universität Zürich)

Please send your abstract (up to 500 characters) by October 16th, 2012
(extended deadline) to  bernphylogeny at gmail.com. Please visit our
website at http://bernphylogeny.blogspot.ch for more information and
feel free to contact us in case of any further questions.