[Corpora-List] Meeting vs Symposium vs Conference

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at suneidesis.com
Fri Oct 12 18:51:04 UTC 2012

On 12 Oct 2012, at 08:52, Majid Laali <mjlaali at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a misunderstanding about what I mean. Actually, I do not want to know the meaning of these words or usage of the words.As an student, I would like to submit a paper to a conference/symposium/meeting. I thought as differences among workshops, conferences and journal, there might be some different between the events too.
> To make it more clear, I believe that for a thesis as an example, we can schedule as follows: basic idea of a research can be submitted to a workshop and more elaborate studies on this subject can lead to several conference papers.

What you are describing is "the grey literature" whether writing a paper for one of those events will add value to your status as an academician. In some institutions the grey stuff, no matter how many shades it might have, is not seen as having much value. In others it has as much value as other means of publication because senior staff only produce grey literature.

> Finally, all the works can be summarized in a journal article.

But that need to be as carefully weighted as meetings/symposia/conferences. Not all journals are created equal. National journals are not as good as international ones. Also certain publishers will print journals that are thought to be more highly prized that those from other publishers.

> With regard to your answer, I find out there is no fundamental differences among conferences, symposium, or meetings for targeting an event for a paper. For this purpose, I should see the characteristics of the events in the websites not their name!

A corpus of meeting/symposia/conference names could be created for analysis. It might be possible to extend it to include journals that papers based on those presentations are then published in.

Regards, Trevor.

<>< Re: deemed!