[Corpora-List] CfP: WSDM'13 WS on Search and Exploration of X-rated Information: Deadline Nov 30

Jaap Kamps kamps at science.uva.nl
Tue Sep 11 19:25:26 UTC 2012

---------------------------------------
CALL FOR PAPERS

WSDM 2013 Workshop: Search and Exploration of X-Rated Information (SEXI
2013)
Rome, Italy, February 5, 2013
website: http://www.sexi2013.org
email: sexi2013 at easychair.org

Important Dates:
Submission deadline: Friday, November 30, 2012
Acceptance notification:  Monday, December 17, 2012

---------------------------------------

WORKSHOP OVERVIEW:

Adult content is pervasive on the Web, has been a driving factor in the
adoption of the Internet medium, and is responsible for a significant
fraction of traffic and revenues, yet rarely attracts attention in
research.  The scientific community has spent considerable energy
studying user-generated content and information access on the Web, to
the exclusion of adult content.  This is understandable, as the topic is
distasteful to some, and requires special legal and ethical
considerations when asking employees, contractors and students to
analyze and process the data.

Furthermore, the methods that work for other types of information access
behavior are assumed to work for all types of content, including adult
content.  We propose that this is an incorrect assumption.  In fact,
even core concepts such as relevance and diversity, which are
fundamental to any application involving information seeking and access,
are defined differently for adult content.

Beyond effectively presenting adult content when a person is searching
for it, it is not always clear whether a query refers to adult content,
as many common terms are used euphemistically to refer to adult content.
  It is extremely important for a search engine to understand this
before serving adult content to a person who is not expecting it.

We propose that the research questions surrounding adult content access
behaviors are unique, and we believe interesting and valuable research
in this area can be done ethically.

We seek a greater understanding of the particular issues in accessing
adult content, especially user-generated adult content on the Web. The
focus of the workshop will be to put this area of research on the
agenda, and explore the basic research questions that should be
addressed in the field, the types of data needed for research, and the
barriers to doing research this area.

MANY OPEN QUESTIONS:

Due to the lack of attention to this area of research there are many
open questions.  These questions include but are not limited to:

CLASSIFICATION:  Even researchers and search applications not interested
in adult content will have to deal with it in order to avoid
it---presenting adult content to innocuous searchers is clearly a
massive failure both for the individual searcher as well as for the
reputation of the service.  What are automatic methods for identifying
adult content, in particular adult user-generated content?  How can we
identify adult content in video, images, and text?  What is the best way
to identify adult query intent, and deal with ambiguous requests?  What
are the appropriate ad placement strategies in adult content?

ACCESS:  Access to adult content seems to require a different approach
than the ubiquitous navigation search---with searchers exhibiting an
exploratory information seeking behavior, characterized by a diverse set
of relevance criteria.  How should adult content be ranked?  How should
search, exploration, and recommendation be balanced?  How does searching
adult content relate to search on adult chat sites and social networks?
  Is there a benefit to personalizing adult content?

EVALUATION:  Given the distinct nature of adult content and the diverse
relevance criteria, appropriate evaluation is crucial.   What is a
relevant result, and what are suitable metrics for relevance?  Is adult
content a recall-oriented, or precision-oriented task?  What is the
right level of evaluation---individual requests or whole search
sessions?  What is similarity and diversity in adult content?  How
important is the avoidance of failure, relative to success?  Are
searchers for adult content more tolerant of non-relevant results?  Are
there general lessons for other types of search and retrieval to be
learnt from understanding search for adult content better?

ETHICS:  What are the ethical issues in working with adult content in an
academic environment?  What are the ethical implications for the search
industry, given that it partly facilitates the online adult industry?
How can adult material be made available so as to promote responsible
behavior through the whole chain from production to consumption?  Is
adult user-generated content more ethical than professionally produced
media?

We limit our discussion to adult content that is legal.  Topics such as
identifying online predators, child pornography, or human trafficking
are out of the scope of this workshop.  Although these are important
issues, they represent a separate set of research questions.

The outcome will be to define a set of research areas, to elucidate the
special issues surrounding the access of (user-generated) adult content.
   We will discuss a set of best-practices for working with this data in
an academic environment, and propose a research agenda for the near
future.  The results of the workshop will have the form of a jointly
authored report to be published in SIGIR Forum.

Presentations in the workshop itself will not include examples of adult
content, images or video.

---------------------------------------

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS:

We solicit short (2-page) position papers, and longer (8-page) research
papers.

Position papers identify an issue or problem related to adult
information access, and outline a possible resolution or approach to
address an issue.

Research papers present academic research in areas within the scope of
the workshop.

Papers should not include examples of adult content.  Workshop
presentations will be vetted to exclude examples of adult content.

Please submit your position and research papers to the conference system
at https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=sexi2013 by Friday,
November 30, 2012.

ORGANIZERS:

Vanessa Murdock
Charles L. A. Clarke, Waterloo University
Jaap Kamps, University of Amsterdam
Jussi Karlgren, Gavagai Stockholm