[Corpora-List] Linguistic games with a purpose

Michal Ptaszynski michal.ptaszynski at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 17:51:29 UTC 2012

Hi Johan,

Thanks for the link to the games. It seems interesting, although I have
some questions, which popped into my mind while playing the first game.

What is the purpose for the player to play the game? Obviously just for
"achievements" and "being better than others" is not enough. What can you
use the points for? For example you could add unlocking new areas/games,
buying (for points?) new skins, etc. to make the game more "for purpose".

Did you think of people who lose on purpose? Especially when you highlight
that just by playing the game one helps in corpus annotation, I can
imagine people (perhaps not many, but still) wanting to add some error
rate to your annotations. Are you ready to deal with that?

The account verification process also allows the above unwanted
situations. After providing all information (even false) the player is
automatically logged in. How about allowing logging in after email
verification? Of course one could create an email just for the occasion,
but that would increase the effort for the potential wrongdoers.

What about communication between players? You could allow inside-mail, or
chatting.

Best,
Michal