[Corpora-List] Quotable Statistics on Unstructured Data on theWWW

Daniel Gerber dgerber at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Fri Dec 6 13:13:02 UTC 2013

Hi Reinhard,
Thank you for your opinion!

On 06.12.2013, at 13:52, Reinhard Rapp <reinhardrapp at gmx.de> wrote:

> Dear Daniel,
>
> Please don't take this personally! Adam just in a pointed way worked out that there is a different view on this between linguists and engineers, and that he prefers the former one. It is just one of many examples where different communities working on similar topics look at things quite diffeently (e.g. semantic web community and computational linguistics community).

I totally agree on that and that’s okay.

> It is Adam's privilege to be able to descirbe such matters in a very concise and entertaining way. Let's not discourage him to do so! He has always very interesting things to say! Political correctness is boring!

I’m not a member of the computational linguistics community as you probably have inferred by now. For that precise fact, I’ve tried to seek help from the NLP community multiple times, but what I get in return is: your point of view is completely wrong so I won’t help you (understand things my way). Don’t get me wrong, political incorrectness is funny, but without any attempt to actually help to bridge/close the gap between different research communities, I consider this as destructive.

Daniel

ps: Thanks to all useful commenters.