[Corpora-List] Constructing a parallel Arabic-English corpus that can be freely distributed without cost

Khalid CHOUKRI choukri at elda.org
Tue Dec 10 10:45:25 UTC 2013

Dear Kais

you may want to search the ELRA resources
(http://catalog.elra.info/index.php?language=en)
some of the work done in the NEMLAR and MEDAR projects were about MT
data sets.

Best regards
Khalid

Kais Dukes wrote, On 10/12/2013 11:02:
> I'm performing a small feasibility study to understand how expensive it would be to build a parallel Arabic-English corpus. I'm aware that such resources already exist (e.g. LDC), but these don't suit my purpose. I want to develop something free that can be easily downloaded and used without cost by the wider research community. e.g. under a creative commons or other open source license. With regards to Arabic genre/dialect, I'm only interested in MSA in its standard register (so not generally social media, blogs, etc.). Ideally, I'm looking for well-written news articles in Arabic by a prominent news agency, or something of comparable quality.
> Some options I could pursue, from most expensive to least expensive:
> 1. Collect some Arabic news articles online, and then pay to have these translated into English (either by a professional translation service or via crowdsourcing). Sources could include Al Jazeera, Associated Press, Arabic Wikinews etc.
>
> 2. Use the United Nations as a source of parallel translated texts. My only concern with this option is that these texts sound quite specific in terms of genre compared to more general news articles, so might not be an ideal solution for what I want to achieve.
>
> 3. Use some other high-quality source of Arabic-English (free and easily available) parallel text that I've not thought of for Modern Standard Arabic.
> My aim is to work out whether or not option 1 is the only way to develop and publish (to the research community) a free high-quality Arabic-English parallel corpus, or if there is something I'm missing. I would also like to have the corpus sentence-aligned, although this is something I could do myself (semi-automatically with manual correction) if the two corpora form a good structural translation pair.
> In a nutshell my question is ... is my best option to pay for high-quality Arabic news articles to get translated into English, then distribute the resulting corpus as a free resource, or is there a better (high-quality) starting point for MSA news?
>
> Any advice is most welcome. For option 1, it would also be great to get a general feel for high-quality translation costs in terms of words/dollars.
> Also, if anyone is generally interested in helping with this effort, please do get in touch.
> Kind Regards,
> -- Kais Dukes
> School of Computing
> University of Leeds

*Khalid Choukri *
ELRA General secretary & ELDA CEO
email: choukri at elda.org;
Web: www.elra.info www.elda.org
Tel. +33 1 43 13 33 33 - Fax. +33 1 43 13 33 30

** Info on LREC: www.lrec-conf.org

*