[Corpora-List] Call for Participation: ACL WMT 2014 Machine Translation Shared Tasks

Barry Haddow bhaddow at inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri Dec 13 15:44:51 UTC 2013

ACL 2014 NINTH WORKSHOP ON STATISTICAL MACHINE TRANSLATION
Shared Tasks on news translation, quality estimation, metrics and
medical text translation.
June 26-27, in conjunction with ACL 2014 in Baltimore, USA

http://www.stamt.org/wmt14

As part of the ACL WMT14 workshop, as in previous years, we will be
organising a collection of shared tasks related to machine translation.
We hope that both beginners and established research groups will
participate. This year we are pleased to present the following tasks:

- Translation task
- Quality estimation task
- Metrics task
- Medical translation task

Further information, including task rationale, timetables and data can
be found on the WMT14 website. Brief descriptions of each task are given
below. Intending participants are encouraged to register with the
mailing list for further announcements
(https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/wmt-tasks)

For all tasks,  participants will also be  invited to submit a short
paper describing their system.

Translation Task
---------------------
This will compare translation quality on four European language pairs
(English-Czech, English-French, English-German and English-Russian), as
well as a low-resource language pair (English-Hindi). The last language
pair is *new* for this year. The test sets will be drawn from online
newspapers, and translated specifically for the task.

We will provide extensive monolingual and parallel data sets for
training, as well as development sets, all available for download from
the task website. Translations will be evaluated both using automatic
metrics, and using human evaluation. Participants will be expected to
contribute to the human evaluations of the translations.

For this year's task we will be releasing the following new or updated
corpora:
- An updated version of news-commentary
- A monolingual news crawl for 2013 in all the task languages
- A development set of English-Hindi
- A parallel corpus of English-Hindi (HindEnCorp), prepared by Charles
University, Prague
- A cleaned-up version of the JHU English-Hindi corpus.
Not all data sets are available on the website yet, but they will be
uploaded as soon as they are ready.

The translation task test week will be February 24-28.

This task is supported by MosesCore (http://www.mosescore.eu), and the
Russian test sets are provided by Yandex.

Quality Estimation
------------------------

This shared task will examine automatic *methods for estimating the
quality of machine translation output at run-time*, without relying on
reference translations. In this third edition of the shared task, we
will once again consider *word-level* and *sentence-level* estimation.
However, this year we will focus on settings for quality prediction that
are MT system-independent and rely on a limited number of training
instances. More specifically, our tasks have the following *goals*:

  * To investigate the effectiveness of different quality labels.
  * To explore word-level quality prediction at different levels of
    granularity.
  * To study the effects of training and test datasets with mixed
    domains, language pairs and MT systems.
  * To analyse the effectiveness of quality prediction methods on human
    translations.

The WMT12-13 quality estimation shared tasks provided a set of baseline
features, datasets, evaluation metrics, and oracle results. Building on
last two years' experience, this year's shared task will reuse some of
these resources, but provide additional training and test sets for four
language pairs (English-Spanish, English-German, Spanish-English,
German-English) and use different quality labels at word-level (specific
types of errors) and sentence-levels. These new datasets have been
collected using professional translators as part of the QTLaunchPad
project (http://www.qt21.eu/launchpad/).

Metrics Task
----------------

The shared metrics task will examine automatic evaluation metrics for
machine translation. We will provide you with all of the translations
produced in the translation task along with the reference human
translations. You will return your automatic metric scores for each of
the translations at the system-level and/or at the sentence-level. We
will calculate the system-level and sentence-level correlations of your
rankings with WMT14 human judgements once the manual evaluation has been
completed.

The task will be very similar to previous years. The most visible change
this year is that we are going to use Pearson's (instead Spearman's)
correlation coefficient to compute system level correlations.

The important dates for metrics task participants are:

March 7, 2014 - System outputs distributed for metrics task
March 28, 2014 - Submission deadline for metrics task

Medical Translation Task
--------------------------------

In the Medical Translation Task, participants are welcome to test their
MT systems on a genre- and domain-specific exercise. The goal is to
translate sentences from summaries and also short queries in the medical
domain. As usual, we provide training data specific for the task. Unlike
the standard translation task, the medical task will be evaluated only
automatically.

More details: http://www.statmt.org/wmt14/medical-task.html

-----

Barry Haddow