[Corpora-List] Broader linguistic resources

Emily M. Bender ebender at uw.edu
Tue Feb 12 16:29:39 UTC 2013

Dear Dominic,

I am currently finishing up a book based on the tutorial
I gave at NAACL 2012 on precisely this topic, i.e., Linguistics
for NLPers ("100 Things You Always Wanted to Know about
Linguistics but Were Afraid to Ask").  The book will be called
_Linguistic Fundamentals for Natural Language Processing:
100 Essentials from Morphology and Syntax_ and will
be part of the Morgan & Claypool series Synthesis
Lectures in Human Language Technologies.

If all  goes well, the book will be available in June (in time
for NAACL 2013).  Meanwhile, the tutorial slides area
available from my web page:

http://faculty.washington.edu/ebender/slides.html

Emily

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 5:55 AM, Dominic P Rout <d.rout at sheffield.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I was recently discussing the work of Steven Pinker with a colleague,
> and we talked about how one thing lacked by many PhD students in NLP
> is a broader understanding of language, outside of their chosen field.
>
> It was suggested that I ask this list the following question:
>
> What are some useful, broad and accessible overview books about
> language (specifically in English) that might be useful to a student
> of NLP wishing to broaden their horizons?
>
> Does anyone have any answers, or starting points?
>
> Thanks
> Dominic Rout
> PhD Student
> Natural Language Processing Group