[Corpora-List] corpora with regular expression engine (syntactic pattern)

Adam Kilgarriff adam at lexmasterclass.com
Sun Feb 24 14:53:20 UTC 2013

Dear Austina,

There are quite a few pieces of infrastucture  (corpus, tagger, query
engine, interface) to put together to get what you want: in the
Sketch Engine this has all been done for you.  There are tagged corpora for
these languages (and plenty of others) already set up, so you can go to a
corpus (here the British Academic Written English (BAWE)), type in a query
(for eg ditransitive verb constructions where first NP is a pronoun)

"VV.*" "PP" "DET"? "JJ"* "NN"+

(this is a CQL query with default attribute set to 'tag', operating over
the CLAWS English tagset)

and you get results that start with

r Sociologyradical behaviour. It would certainly have *gained them the
sympathy*and attention from those around them, if History'How much more
properly did the apostles *call themselves servants* of the present
Christ', he wrote in anHistory everywhere he is in chains', he argues,
'One*thinks
himself the master* of others, and still remains a greater Sociologyhegemonic
masculinity, as the life he leads *makes him the embodiment*of the
masculine ideals of "competitiveness Historylimitation of its own, because
it does not *tell us the relative fighter* position vis-a-vis the wider
picture ofHistory limitation of its own, because it does not*tell us the
relative fighter position* vis-a-vis the wider picture of total
aircraftHistoryproduction
than Britain to trainers), and they *give us no insight*into how many of
the aircraft delivered Historyprevent annihilation, with Scotty lamenting 'I
*bring you warning* ... Watch the skies. Everywhere... KeepBiological
Sciences group which determines each amino acid and*gives it specific
characteristics* such as charge. A term used to describe Historythe main
offices, and the posts he held *gave him direct authority*or at the very
least powers of persuasion Historyall the offices. Though all his positions
*gave him important influence* , it was his position as General Secretary
History political stance during meetings, it did*allow him the luxury* of
supporting which ever people he wished Historywithin the party. The
positions Stalin held *permitted him great influence*within a large number
of party areas undetected Psychology 1968) used a token economy with
patients,*giving them tokens* for acts such as making their bed or
brushingHistoryof
San Pancrazio. Commissioning artists *gave them the opportunities*to try
out new styles and techniques as Historysome sort of machine to move them.
This *gave him the idea* of the ulivella, a machine to move largeHistory .
The conditions in Florence at the time*made it the ideal place* for artists
and scholars to work. There Historynightingale in "Ode to a Nightingale" by
*giving it human feelings*with its 'soul abroad / In such an ecstasy
Historydegree
pulled the Soviet people together, *giving them hope* of victory." The cult
of Stalin's personalityHistory fulfilled- it fired up the European
imagination,*giving it the impetus* to venture out and explore the world; it

Do go and play - free trial accounts at http://www.sketchengine.co.uk

Adam

Adam Kilgarriff <http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk/>
adam at lexmasterclass.com
Director                                    Lexical Computing
Ltd<http://www.sketchengine.co.uk/>

Visiting Research Fellow                 University of
Leeds<http://leeds.ac.uk>

*Corpora for all* with the Sketch Engine <http://www.sketchengine.co.uk>

                        *DANTE: a lexical database for
English<http://www.webdante.com>