[Corpora-List] "Tajweed" in English dictionaries and corpora

Alon Lischinsky alischinsky at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 14:34:59 UTC 2013

On 2013/2/28 Leon Derczynski <leon at dcs.shef.ac.uk> wrote:

> "sabayon"
>
> An interesting example - like "tajweed", it seems to be a word that was
> introduced/appropriated to another language and mis-transliterated en route

mistransliterated how? In Northern Italian pronunciation, word-initial
/z/ is typically [dz], which is phonotactically impossible in French;
its simplification to /s/ makes sense, given how rare word-initial /z/
is in French anyway (pace Eleonora, I don't suppose etymology had
anything to do with it). /ʎ/ → /j/ is also typical in
Italian-to-French borrowings.

Cheers,

A.