[Corpora-List] "Tajweed" in English dictionaries and corpora

Michael Rundell michael.rundell at lexmasterclass.com
Thu Feb 28 17:14:32 UTC 2013

Eric

As far as dictionaries go, the Macmillan English Dictionary
(http://www.macmillandictionary.com/) includes a thesaurus, and one of the
categories is words relating to Islam - there are about 70 i think. You can
see them all here:
http://www.macmillandictionary.com/thesaurus-category/british/Islam_7

A couple of caveats:
-this is a general-purpose pedagogical dictionary so definitions are not
detailed and coverage is not extensive
-we're not omniscient, so there may be some inaccuracies, and there are sure
to be other  good candidates currently missing

But the good thing about online dictionaries is that (a) you can update them
regularly, rather than waiting 5 years for a new printed edition, and (b)
you can fix things that are inaccurate or misleading.

Thanks for 'tajweed', which corpus data suggests we should include. I've
added it to the list of items for our next-but-one update (the next update
is already too far down the line). And if anyone has other suggestions (or
proposed improvements to existing Islam-related entries) please send to me
at michael.rundell at lexmasterclass.com

Michael