[Corpora-List] Lexical changes in the Brown family of corpora and/or ARCHER

Mark Davies Mark_Davies at byu.edu
Thu Jan 3 03:26:50 UTC 2013

I'm working on a paper on corpus-based approaches to lexical changes in Late Modern English. As part of this, I wanted to briefly look at smaller corpora like the Brown family of corpora, or the ARCHER corpus. I'm aware of course of the large amount of research that has been done on grammatical change with these corpora, but I'm not aware of much in terms of lexical change -- non-function words / content words like < teenager, hippies, groovy, swell, freak out, basically >, etc, and I haven't been able to find much at all in bibliographies either (LLBA, etc).

Of course, it's not really fair to expect this from the Brown family of corpora or ARCHER -- they were designed with a different purpose in mind -- but I just want to make sure that I'm not overlooking some important work in this field. Anyway, if anyone is aware of research or researchers in this field, I'd appreciate hearing from you, and if there's sufficient interest / response, I'll post a summary.

Thanks in advance,

Mark D.

Mark Davies
Professor of Linguistics / Brigham Young University
http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu/

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **