[Corpora-List] spotting names of drugs

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at suneidesis.com
Tue Jan 8 16:22:50 UTC 2013

On 8 Jan 2013, at 15:45, "WHITELOCK, Pete" <pete.whitelock at oup.com> wrote:

> I’m interested in the problem of spotting that a particular string that’s not in one’s dictionary is in fact the name of a drug. ...
>
> In addition, does anyone know where to get a list of drug names to use as the starting point.

British Pharmacopoeia might boot strap your list.

"The British Pharmacopoeia (BP) is the official collection of standards for UK medicinal products and pharmaceutical substances. Produced by the British Pharmacopoeia Commission Secretariat of the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency, the BP makes an important contribution to public health by setting publicly available standards for the quality of medicines."

You might also want to look at British National Formulary at http://www.bnf.org/bnf/index.htm (a publication of the BMJ); I believe this is the book your GP will have on their desk and consult when prescribing you medication.

Have you also considered generics formulations? A hot topic here in the UK at the moment with the NHS telling GPs to prescribe the cheaper generic forms rather than proprietary branded and patented originals. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/prescribe-cheaper-drugs-gps-told-8433635.html

Regards, Trevor.

<>< Re: deemed!