[Corpora-List] Bootcamp 'Statistics for linguistics with R'

Stefan Th. Gries stgries at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 17:03:10 UTC 2013

Date: 08-13 August 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Contact: Ute Römer (<uroemer at gsu.edu>) and/or Scott Crossley
(<scrossley at gsu.edu>)
Meeting URL: http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/faculty/stgries/teaching/bootcamps/bootcamps2013.pdf

Meeting description:

The statistics bootcamp is a 30-hours hands-on introduction to
statistical methods for both graduate students and seasoned
researchers. Note: this statistics bootcamp can be taken together with
the bootcamp 'Corpus linguistics with R', which takes place one week
before this bootcamp. Using the open source software and programming
language R, we will

- briefly recap basic aspects of statistical evaluation as well as
several descriptive statistics;
- discuss monofactorial statistical tests for frequencies, means,
dispersions, correlations;
- explore different kinds of multifactorial and multivariate methods,
in particular different kinds of regression approaches as well as
hierarchical cluster analysis.

For all statistical methods to be explored, we will discuss how to
test their assumptions and visualize their results with nice and
annotated statistical graphs, and sometimes we will reanalyze
published data from corpus-linguistic studies. The participants will
also get small functions they can use for their own statistical
applications. Also, there will be a small section on how to write
small statistical/visualization functions yourself. The content of
this statistics bootcamp is based on the upcoming second edition of
Gries (2009d, <http://tinyurl.com/StatForLingWithR>) to be published
in May 2013.

STG
--