[Corpora-List] New publication about analysis and identification of negated bio-events in literature

Paul Thompson Paul.Thompson at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Jan 18 10:41:44 UTC 2013

Dear Anita,

Thank you for your email and your interest in our paper.

We would certainly be very interested to compare our algorithm to BioNOT in the future, although unfortunately we do not have a public version of our system available at present.

It should be noted that there is a difference between our system and the BioNOT system, i.e., the BioNOT system detects negated sentences, whilst our system detects negated bio-events, the latter of which correspond to particular biological processes. Thus, our system helps to detect exactly which information within a sentence is negated.  It may therefore be the case that a sentence may contain negation terms, but that no bio-events will be negated.  It would certainly be interesting to discover the proportion of sentences that are marked as negated by BioNOT actually contain negated bio-events, and investigate whether the output of BioNOT could be used to further improve the results of detecting negated bio-events.

Best wishes,

Paul