[Corpora-List] Free Paraphrases of Noun Compounds -- a task at *SEM 2013

Diarmuid Ó Séaghdha do242 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 22 20:10:50 UTC 2013

"Onion tears" certainly is attested:

Onion tears affect my contact lenses
(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-82510/Onion-tears-affect-contact-lenses.html)
No more onion tears!
(http://durhamfoodie.blogspot.co.uk/2007/12/no-more-onion-tears.html)
I actually never have a problem because I wear contacts and for some
reason there's barrier between me and those dang onion tears.
(http://joannagoddard.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/chopping-onions.html)
I echo the previous commenter that contacts are the best solution for
onion tears.
(http://www.thekitchn.com/tip-let-cut-onions-go-for-a-sw-117149)

My intuition is that it's a semantically straightforward compound
(assuming you know about chopping onions).

There's a debate to be had about whether or not all possible N+N
compounds are meaningful to some degree, but for the SemEval task we're
not using any unattested compounds.

Diarmuid