[Corpora-List] WSD / # WordNet senses / Mechanical Turk

Angus Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Wed Jul 17 00:54:22 UTC 2013

On 7/16/2013 4:40 PM, maxwell wrote:
> But who's to say what N should be?  It is well known that given M
> experts who are asked to create senses based on the same corpus, for
> any moderately polysemous word you'll get at least M different Ns.
> (Look at any two dictionaries.)

     The old joke is that if you ask two Jews to discuss a topic you'll
get three opinions, so M+1.  But in reality I think it would usually be
less than M, somewhere between M and N.  That's what communication is:
socially negotiated meaning.  It's not as hard and fast as Miss Elliott
would have you believe, but it's not everyone for themself, either.

--
				-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
				grvsmth at panix.com