[Corpora-List] Building a corpus from Twitter & Tw's privacy concerns

Angus Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Wed Jul 17 02:49:29 UTC 2013

On 7/16/2013 11:44 AM, John D. Burger wrote:
> There appears to be no legal reason you can't collect a corpus of
> tweets.  However, per Twitter's Terms of Use you cannot redistribute
> the tweets to others.

     At first I thought, "that's nuts."  Then I thought, "well, if you
consider tweets to be creative works like books and songs, it makes a
certain sense."  Then I concluded that that just shows how nuts our
intellectual property system has become.   And of course that nobody
cares what a bunch of linguists think about our intellectual property
system.

     BTW, did everyone catch list member Patrick Juola in the news for
helping identify J.K. Rowling as the author of /The Cuckoo's Calling/?

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/news/education/duquesne-prof-helps-id-rowling-as-author-695629/

--
				-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
				grvsmth at panix.com