[Corpora-List] "Tajweed" in English dictionaries and corpora

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at suneidesis.com
Wed Mar 6 09:23:37 UTC 2013

On 5 Mar 2013, at 23:30, Jim Fidelholtz <fidelholtz at gmail.com> wrote:

> To put a PS first: Trevor, I think you mean *wrest* control of English ..., although 'rest', upon reflection, is not nonsensical.

Ah yes, others have pointed that slip out to me.

> Anyway, to join in the discussion of what words should go into a dictionary, I think one point has escaped the ken of at least some of the contributors to the discussion: there *can never be such a thing as an all-inclusive dictionary*, probably not of any language.

Indeed and the current BSL/English Dictionary (David Brien and Mary Brennan, Faber and Faber 1993) has an extensive description of "the productive lexicon", which potentially solves the problem by making explicit the implicit rules for forming new lexemes.

Regards, Trevor.

<>< Re: deemed!