[Corpora-List] "Tajweed" in English dictionaries and corpora

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at suneidesis.com
Wed Mar 6 15:34:00 UTC 2013

On 6 Mar 2013, at 13:19, "Krishnamurthy, Ramesh" <r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Trevor
>
> But "the implicit rules for forming new lexemes" would not cover loanwords from other languages, which is what this thread was originally about?

True, but it does provide evidence (albeit anecdotal) that exhaustive mono-lingual dictionaries are not possible. So the extension to exhaustive loanwords listings becomes moot. Although, some English language dictionaries do include various loan words from my third language (after BSL) of Swedish, including ombudsman, IKEA, and tappen. Though the collocation of the last two is probably best overlooked at the current time.

> Sadly, most non-corpus dictionaries waste space on derived wordforms that have rarely - if ever - actually been used? A dictionary cannot list all of the 'potential' words in a language... it is difficult enough to decide which of the existing - and frequently attested - word forms should be included... and what 'the language' actually is?

The opposite is also true. A recent episode of a popular UK TV quiz show did not allow the word "dormice" (as the plural form of dormouse) because although the offered answer was listed it wasn't the headword for an entry. And that anecdote raises a separate issue of how people use the dictionaries we do have.

Regards, Trevor.

<>< Re: deemed!