[Corpora-List] Question: Citing Linguistic Corpora

Eric Atwell E.S.Atwell at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Mar 7 07:34:33 UTC 2013

Morteza,

This question is timely in the UK where we are preparing for REF.
Whatever Corpus Linguists may think, the wider academic world expects
citations of published journal/conference papers or books. So, when a
corpus is created, the developers should also publish a paper or book on
the research undertaken to develop the corpus, and this is what you
should cite. Even if you don't directly quote from the paper, you are
citing the academic research idea embodied in the paper.
Sometimes a corpus project can lead to several publications.
It is good practice for creators of a corpus to nominate a specific paper
whcih should be cited by users of the corpus, e.g. on the website where
you get the corpus from. This helps people like you who want to know
what to cite; and it helps the corpus creators to accumulate due credit
for their work. For example for REF, we nominate up to 4 key papers for
assessment, so it helps if others cite these specific 4 papers.

Eric Atwell, Leeds University

--
Eric Atwell, Associate Professor, Language research group,
  I-AIBS Institute for Artificial Intelligence and Biological Systems