[Corpora-List] Question: Citing Linguistic Corpora

Eric Atwell E.S.Atwell at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Mar 7 12:48:46 UTC 2013

If you cite http://www.statmt.org/europarl/ you tell readers
where to get the data (assuming the URL still exists at time of reading)

But if you cite a journal paper about the corpus creation, you ALSO
help to improve the corpus creator's journal citation counts.

That's why http://www.statmt.org/europarl/  asks politely:

  For a detailed description of this corpus, please read:

Europarl: A Parallel Corpus for Statistical Machine Translation, Philipp
Koehn, MT Summit 2005, pdf.

Please cite the paper, if you use this corpus in your work.

I urge corpus linguists to help each other; please cite corpus URL
*and* associated journal/conference paper by the corpus creator(s)

Eric Atwell, leeds University