[Corpora-List] WORLDCOMP Strikes Again for the Last Time

Jack Bryar bryar at vermontel.net
Thu Mar 14 16:03:51 UTC 2013

I've been working with clients for some time to help develop analytical
metrics to identify bogus research and dubious claims in the media and both
the trade and scientific press. It's been a bit of an obsession ever since
I worked as a knowledge officer and lead developer of search and retrieval
tools for NewsEdge a decade ago. As pretty much anyone on this list is
aware, current querying systems tend to generate silos of disinformation as
well as reliable information, and has resulted in piles of pseudoscientific
data that have been used to buttress bogus claims about everything from
macroeconomics to climate change.
I'm painfully aware of the degree to which intellectual snake oil salesmen
and the PR departments of certain industries have ginned up fake
conferences and policy groups to disseminate garbage into the public
discourse. I fully appreciate why members of the scientific and technical
community are tempted to take extreme measures to out such characters. That
said, I think that one needs to appreciate that when people use ethically
dubious methods to "out" these guys, it tends to damage the value that can
be reliably assigned to their legitimate research. Moreover the phony stuff
has a way of entering the public domain along with the real research.
I'm completely okay with Chris's trashing WORLDCOMP if they need trashing
and I'm sympathetic to his outrage that bogus conferences and research
groups are allowed to continue unimpeded for years.  However, any objective
set of analytical tools  applied to WORLDCOMP's body of submitted papers
and a review of their business operations ought to do that quite
effectively. I am not at all sold on the idea that one needs to jump off
the ethical cliff along with the people one is trying to expose, especially
if they are self proclaimed vigilantes publishing web pages whose claims I
cannot independently verify. It's also worth noting that ideologically
driven "investigators" have frequently reverted to these kind of tactics
(use of fake papers, fake identification other misrepresentation) to set of
traps in order to trash legitimate research focused on health care policy,
the environment, and law enforcement among other subjects. That should
serve as a caution contemplating use of such tactics, no matter how
idealistic their motivation.

http://crappyconferences.blogspot.com/2013/01/if-you-didnt-know-already-worldcomp-is.html

http://iaria-highsci.blogspot.com/2012/03/intimidation-attempts-prove-that.html
> [...]
>> treated as legitimate news, intentionally polluting the stream of
>> research
>> can only add to the fog of disinformation that complicates rational
>> discussions of so many technical and scientific topics.
>>
>> Jack Bryar
>>

>> On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:34:25 -0400 (EDT), chrisrogersrogers at aol.com
>> wrote:
>> > I graduated from University of Florida (UFL) and am currently running
>> > computer firm in Florida. I have attended WORLDCOMP
>> > http://www.world-academy-of-science.org  in 2010. Except for few
>> > keynote
>> > speeches and presentations, the conference was very disappointing due
>> > large number of poor quality papers and cancellation of some
sessions.
>> > was instantly suspicious of this conference.
>> >

>> > Me and my UFL and UGA friends started a study on WORLDCOMP. We
>> > submitted
>> > paper to WORLDCOMP 2011 and again (the same paper with a modified
>> > title)
>> > WORLDCOMP 2012. This paper had numerous fundamental mistakes. Sample
>> > statements from that paper include:
>> > (1). Binary logic is fuzzy logic and vice versa
>> > (2). Pascal developed fuzzy logic
>> > (3). Object oriented languages do not exhibit any polymorphism or
>> > inheritance
>> > (4). TCP and IP are synonyms and are part of OSI model
>> > (5). Distributed systems deal with only one computer
>> > (6). Laptop is an example for a super computer
>> > (7). Operating system is an example for computer hardware
>> >

>> > Also, our paper did not express any conceptual meaning.  However, it
>> > was
>> > accepted both the times without any modifications (and without any
>> reviews)
>> > and we were invited to submit the final paper and a payment of $500+
>> > fee
>> > present the paper. We decided to use the fee for better purposes than
>> > making Prof. Hamid Arabnia (Chairman of WORLDCOMP) rich. After that,
we
>> > received few reminders from WORLDCOMP to pay the fee but we never
>> > responded.
>> >

>> > We MUST say that you should look at the website
>> > http://sites.google.com/site/worlddump1   if you have any thoughts to
>> > submit a paper to WORLDCOMP.  DBLP and other indexing agencies have
>> stopped
>> > indexing WORLDCOMP’s proceedings since 2011 due to its fakeness.
>> >

>> > The status of your WORLDCOMP papers can be changed from “scientific”
>> > “other” (i.e., junk or non-technical) at anytime. See the comments
>> > http://www.mail-archive.com/tccc@lists.cs.columbia.edu/msg05168.html
>> > of
>> > respected researcher on this. Better not to have a paper than having
it
>> in
>> > WORLDCOMP and spoil the resume and peace of mind forever!
>> >

>> > Our study revealed that WORLDCOMP is a money making business, using
UGA