[Corpora-List] Conference "From Hand to Mouth"

Sarah Ebling ebling at cl.uzh.ch
Fri Mar 15 13:50:47 UTC 2013

Dear Colleague

We would like to make you aware of the international conference ‘From Hand to Mouth: A dialogue between spoken and signed language research’ which will take place Sept. 5-7, 2013 at the University of Zürich.  The purpose of the conference is to further a discussion of linguistic concepts and methodology based on a comparison of research in oral and signed languages.

The conference pairs lectures on specific themes by spoken and signed language researchers who are all internationally well-known in their fields. Each pair of lectures will be followed by a moderated ‘synthesis’ session in which the lecturers will discuss the research similarities and differences in their fields.

The targeted themes and paired spoken language/signed language researchers are the following:

Lexicography: Wolfgang Behr / Reiner Konrad

Deixis and Space: Heiko Hausendorf / Jörg Keller

Typology: Balthasar Bickel / Ulrike Zeshan

Morphology and Syntax: Christa Dürscheid, Elisabeth Stark / Roland Pfau

Psycholinguistics: Sabine Stoll / Gary Morgan

Neurolinguistics: Martin Meyer / Mairead MacSweeney

Corpus Linguistics: Anke Lüdeling / Thomas Hanke

The conference will be opened by an overview by Tobias Haug of sign language research that has been done in Switzerland and a poster session of work that has been done by young Swiss researchers. The conference will close with a discussion session involving the lecturers and the conference participants.

The official languages for the conference are English and International Sign. In addition, interpretation into Swiss German Sign Language (DSGS) will be made during the poster session on the first day, as well as during the coffee breaks, the lunch breaks and the official conference dinner.

Further information can be found on the conference website, http://www.hand-to-mouth.uzh.ch/index.html.

We hope we will be able to welcome some of you to Zürich in September!

With best greetings,

The Conference Organising Committee

Penny Boyes Braem, Alexandra Bünzli, Miriam Dittmar, Sarah Ebling, Tobias Haug, Agnes Kolmer, Sabine Stoll