[Corpora-List] Question: Citing Linguistic Corpora

Khalid CHOUKRI choukri at elda.org
Thu Mar 21 08:18:45 UTC 2013

Hi Jim

Thanks for your suggestions, I will convey them to the steering
committee and see how this is handled

regarding the last sentence of your message:

 >>>, including the price of the corpora and the cost of registering
corpora.

I would like to insist that the "registration" of corpora will be free
of charge and the server that assigns ISLRN will NOT require any
obligation to distribute the resources so may as well ask for an ISLRN
and keep the data internal to your organization (of course our
objectives are to offer them and preferably for free for research
purposes but again distribution/sharing/availability are not part of the
mandate of the ISLRN initiative)

Best regards
Khalid

Jim Fidelholtz wrote, On 20/03/2013 23:24:
> Hi, Khalid & al.,
>
> It seems to me that the proposed ISLRN is *bound* to get confused with
> ISBNs, since it also has 13 digits, and this independently of how they are
> divided up, since, as with ISBNs, the divisions do not always, or perhaps
> even usually, follow the guidelines set by the issuing agencies. If you are
> determined to go ahead with such a process, it would probably be
> recommendable to lower the number of symbols to something not used by ISBNs
> (ie, not 13 or 10), first of all. Likewise, divide the (hopefully
> meaningful) sections of numbers with letters A-Z, which could meaningfully
> subdivide the groups of numbers in some useful way, and which would
> distinguish the ISLRN from ISBNs in that way. This, of course, is assuming
> you are unconvinced by the arguments against setting up such a system in
> the first place. Personally, I haven't made up my mind yet about the
> advisability of doing so, but if it is to be set up, we should make sure it
> does not clash with other systems, such as ISBN. I also see problems with
> setting up the top tier in the hierarchy. Undoubtedly, it would need to be
> run by one of the large archivers already in business (ELDA, LDC, etc.) and
> this would present other types of problems, including the price of the
> corpora and the cost of registering corpora.
>
> Jim
>

> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 5:15 AM, Christian Pietsch <
> chr.pietsch at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Khalid,
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 11:47:20AM +0100, Khalid Choukri wrote:
>>> If you look at the paper I mentioned you can see some arguments why we
>> are not advocating for DOI
>>
>> Are you referring to the one-page position paper you linked, or to the
>> ijcnlp2011 paper you mentioned? I read the former and found no
>> arguments against DOIs. Do you have an ID for the latter paper handy?
>>
>>> not only because handlers are not free of charge and many resources are
>> not necessarily described on Internet
>>
>> DataCite hands out DOIs for free. Handles are free.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Christian
>>

>> --
>>    Christian Pietsch · http://purl.org/net/pietsch
>>    LibTec · Library Technology and Knowledge Management
>>    Bielefeld University, Universitätsstr. 25, 33615 Bielefeld, Germany

*Khalid Choukri *
ELRA General secretary & ELDA CEO
email: choukri at elda.org;
Web: www.elra.info www.elda.org
Tel. +33 1 43 13 33 33 - Fax. +33 1 43 13 33 30

** Info on LREC: www.lrec-conf.org

*